Concha Margoritifera Usta Pill
The Prescription of 珍珠母丸
The book Pu Ji Ben Shi Fang
- Zhen Zhu Mu (Concha Margaritifera Usta) 22.5 g,
- Dang Gui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis) 45 g,
- Shu Di (Radix Rehmanniae Preparata) 45 g,
- Ren Shen (Radix Ginseng) 30 g,
- Suan Zao Ren (Semen Ziziphi Spinosae] 30 g,
- Bai Zi Ren (Semen Platycladi) 30 g,
- Xi Jiao (Cornu Rhinoceri) 11 g,
- Fu Shen (Poria cum Ligno Hospite) 15 g,
- Chen Xiang (Lignum Aquilariae Resinatum) 15 g,
- Long Chi (Dens Darconis) 15 g,
- Jin Yin Hua (Flos Lonicerae) adequate amount,
- Bo He (Herba Menthae) adequate amount.
Zhen Zhu Mu: The principal drug, being salty in taste and cold in nature, calming the liver and suppressing the hyperactivities of the liver-Yang.
Long Chi: Tranquilizing the mind
Zao Ren, Bai Zi Ren and Fu Shen: Relieving mental distress and restlessness to induce sleep.
Ren Shen, Dang Gui and Shu Di: Nourishing blood and Yin, invigorating Qi to promote the production of blood.
Xi Jiao: Removing pathogenic heat from the liver and calming the mind.
Chen Xiang: Suppressing the floating Yang.
Zhu Sha: Stopping panic to calm the mind.
Jin Yin Hua and Bo He: Clearing away heat from the liver.
The Effect of 珍珠母丸
Nourishing Yin and tonifying blood, tranquilizing the mind and relieving mental distress and restlessness.
Syndrome due to hyperactivity of' the liver-Yang and insufficiency of Yin-blood, marked by mental distress and restlessness, insomnia, intermittent palpitation, dizziness, vertigo, and thready taut pulse; including such diseases with the above symptoms as neurosism and schizophrenia.
The ingredients are ground into powder and made with honey into pills, each as big as a seed of Chinese parasol. The pills are coated with Zhu Sha which has been refined with water. 40-50 pills are taken with the decoction of Jin Yin Hua and Bo He before going to bed at noon or night.