The Prescription of 安宮牛黃丸
The book Wen Bing Tiao Bian
- Niu Huang (Calculus Bovis) 30 g,
- Yu Jin (Radix Curcumae) 30 g,
- Xi Jiao (Cornu Rhinocerotis) 30 g,
- Huang Qin (Radix Scutellariae) 30 g,
- Huang Lian (Rhizoma Coptidis) 30 g,
- Xiong Huang (Realgar) 30 g,
- Shan Zhi (Fructus Gardeniae) 30 g,
- Zhu Sha (Cinnabaris) 30 g,
- Bing Pian (Bornelum Syntheticum) 7.5 g,
- She Xiang (Moschus) 7.5 g,
- Zhen Zhu (Margarita) 15 g,
- Jin Bo (Gold foil) appropriate amount.
Niu Huang: One of the principal drugs, being bitter and sweet in taste and cool in nature, removing heat pathogen from the heart, eliminating toxic material, clearing away phlegm for resuscitation.
She Xiang: The other principal drug, being pungent in flavor and warm in nature, restoring consciousness.
Xi Jiao: Clearing away heat from the heart and blood to dispel toxic material.
Feng Mi: Normalizing the function of the stomach and spleen.
Jin Bo: Calming the mind through its heavy nature.
The Effect of 安宮牛黃丸
Removing heat for resuscitation, eliminating phlegm and toxic material.
Excess syndromes of stroke due to warm and heat pathogens such as lingering of heat pathogen in the pericardium, phlegm and heat pathogens confusing the heart, coma caused by apoplexy, and infantile convulsion, marked by high fever, dysphoria, coma and delirium; including such diseases with the above symptoms as encephalitis B, hepatic coma, coma due to acute cerebral hemorrhage, epidemic cerebrospinal meningitis, toxic dysentery, uremia and toxic hepatitis.
The ingredients except Jin Bo are ground into very fine powder. The powder is made with honey into boluses, each weighing 3 g. The boluses are coated with Jin Bo and then enclosed with wax. 1 bolus is taken each time daily, 2-3 times daily for an adult with a severe disorder and a constitution of excess type. An infantile patient takes half a bolus each time. If it doesn't work, he / she may take the other half.