The Prescription of Fangfeng Tongsheng San
The book Xuan Ming Lun Fang
- Fang Feng (Radix Saposhinkoviae) 15 g,
- Jing Jie (Herba Schizonepetae) 15 g,
- Lian Qiao (Fructus forsythiae) 15 g,
- Ma Huang (Herba Ephedrae) 15 g,
- Bo He (Herba Menthae) 15 g,
- Chuan Xiong (Rhizoma Chuanxiong) 15 g,
- Dang Gui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis) 15 g,
- Bai Shao (parched Radix Paeoniae Alba) 15 g,
- Bai Zhu (Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae) 15 g,
- Shan Zhi (Fructus Gardeniae) 15 g,
- Da Huang (Radix et Rhizoma Rhei steamed with liquor) 15 g,
- Mang Xiao (Natrii Sulfas added later) 15 g,
- Shi Gao (Gypsum Fibrosum) 30 g,
- Huang Qin (Radix Scutellariae) 30 g,
- Jie Geng (Radix Platycodi) 30 g,
- Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae) 60 g,
- Hua Shi (Talcum) 90 g,
- Sheng Jiang (Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens) 3 pieces.
Fang Feng: The principal drug, being pungent and sweet in flavor and slightly warm in nature, dispersing wind pathogen to relieve exterior syndrome, working together with Jing Jie, Ma Huang and Bo He to strongly dispel wind pathogen by diaphoresis.
Bai Zhu: Strengthening the spleen and drying dampness.
Gan Cao: Regulating the middle-Jiao and relieving pain.
Sheng Jiang: Regulating the stomach and descending the adverse flow of Qi.
The Effect of Fangfeng Tongsheng San
Dispelling wind pathogen to relieve exterior syndrome, clearing away heat pathogen to relieve constipation.
Syndrome due to excessive wind and heat pathogens in both the exterior and interior, marked by great aversion to cold, high fever, dizziness, reddened and painful eyes, bitter and dry sensation in the mouth, sore throat, fullness in the chest, cough, vomiting, asthma, thick nasal discharges and saliva, constipation, scanty and deep-clored urine; including such diseases with the above symptoms as urticaria, neurogenic headache, psoriasis and allergic purpura.
The ingredients except Sheng Jiang are gound into powder, 9 g of which is mixed with 3 pieces of Sheng Jiang. The mixture is decocted in water for the decoction to be taken twice. (Taken also in the form of pills)