The Prescription of 炙甘草汤
The book Shang Han Lun
- Zhi Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae Preparata) 12 g,
- Ren Shen (Radix Ginseng) 6 g,
- Sheng Di Huang (Radix Rehmanniae) 30 g,
- Gui Zhi (Ramulus Cinnamomi) 9 g,
- E Jiao (Colla Corii Asini) 6 g,
- Mai Dong (Radix Ophiopogonis) 10 g,
- Ma Ren (Frutus Cannabis) 10 g,
- Sheng Jiang (Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens) 10 g,
- Da Zao (Fructus Jujubae) 5 dates.
Zhi Gan Cao: The principal drug, being sweet in flavor and warm in nature, used in large dosage to replenish Qi, relieve spasm and nourish the heart.
The Effect of 炙甘草汤
Replenishing Qi, nourishing blood, enriching Yin, restoring the circulation of blood.
Syndrome due to deficiency of both Qi and blood, marked by intermittent and knotted pulse, palpitation, or dry stools, light red tongue with little coating, dry cough without sputum or with blood-tinged sputum; including such diseases with the above symptoms as coronary heart disease, viral myocarditis, rheumatic heart disease and neurosism.
Because Zhi Gancao Tang is wet in nature, it can not be used to treat patients with interior heat due to Yin-deficiency.