Antipyretic and Antitoxic Decoction
The Prescription of 清瘟败毒饮
The book Yi Zhen Yi De
- Shi Gao (Gypsum Fibrosum) 30 g,
- Sheng Di (Radix Rehmanniae) 12 g,
- Xi Jiao (Cornu Rhinocerotis) 6 g,
- Huang Lian (Rhizoma Coptidis) 6 g,
- Huang Qin (Radix Scutellariae) 6 g,
- Zhi Zi (Fructus Gardeniae) 10 g,
- Mu Dan Pi (Cortex Moutan) 6 g,
- Xuan Shen (Radix Scrophulariae) 10 g,
- Lian Qiao (Fructus Forsythiae) 15 g,
- Chi Shao (Radix Paeoniae Rubra) 6 g,
- Zhi Mu (Rhizoma Anemarrhenae) 6 g,
- Jie Geng (Radix Platycodi) 9 g,
- Zhu Ye (Herba Lophatheri) 6 g,
- Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae) 6 g.
Shi Gao: Being pungent in taste and cold in nature, removing heat and purging fire.
Xi Jiao: One of the principal drugs, being salty in flavor and cold in nature, clearing away heat in the blood and nourishing Yin.
Sheng Di: The other principal drug, being sweet and bitter in flavor and cold in nature, removing heat in the blood and nourishing Yin.
Zhi Mu: Nourishing Yin and purging fire.
Zhi Zi, Huang Lian, Huang Qin, Lian Qiao and Xuan Shen: Clearing away heat and toxic material.
Dan Pi and Chi Shao: Removing heat in the blood and promoting the circulation of blood.
Jie Geng and Zhu Ye: Making the potency of the drugs go upward.
Gan Cao: Clearing away heat and toxic material and tempering the actions of all the other ingredients.
The Effect of 清瘟败毒饮
Clearing away heat and toxic material, removing heat in the blood and purging fire.
Syndrome due to noxious heat at the full in both the Qi and blood systems, marked by high fever, thirst with strong desire for drinking, headache as if the head were being splitted, coma and delirium, blurred vision, or skin eruption, or spitting blood, epistaxis, convulsion of' the limbs or cold limbs, crimson tongue, very dry lips, and deep rapid pulse or deep thready rapid pulse or floating large rapid pulse; including such diseases with the above symptoms as epidemic cerebrospinal meningitis, severe influenza, epidemic hemorrhagic fever and hematosepsis.
Decocted in water for oral dose to be taken 3 times. Shi Gao was decocted first for about 10 seconds arter the content was boiling, and, then, the other ingredients except Xi Jiao were put into the boiling content and decocted for the decoction. Xi Jiao was ground into powder in a small amount of water and drunk with the decoction.