The Prescription of 桑菊飲
The book Wen Bing Tiao Bian
- Sang Ye (Folium Mori) 7.5 g,
- Ju Hua (Flos Chrysanthemi) 3 g,
- Xing Ren (Serwn Armeniacae Amarum) 6 g,
- Lian Qiao (Fructus Forsythiae) 5 g,
- Bo He (Herba Menthae) 2.5 g,
- Jie Geng (Radix Platycodi) 6 g,
- Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae) 2.5 g,
- Wei Gen (Rhizoma Phragmitis) 6 g.
Sang Ye: The principal drug, being sweet and bitter in flavor and cold in nature, clearing away heat from the lung-collaterals.
Ju Hua: The other principal drug, being pungent sweet and bitter in flavor and slightly cold in nature, dispelling wind-heat from the upper-Jiao.
Bo He: Aiding in dispelling wind-heat from the upper-Jiao.
Lian Qiao: Expelling heat from above the diaphragm.
Wei Gen: Clearing away heat, promoting the production of body fluids, relieving thirst.
Gan Cao: Tempering the actions of all the other ingredients
The Effect of 桑菊飲
Dispelling wind, removing heat, promoting the dispersing function of the lung to arrest cough.
Wind-warm syndrome in the initial stage, marked by cough, low fever and mild thirst; including such diaeases with the above symptoms as influenza, acute bronchitis, acute tonsillitis, epidemic conjunctivitis, etc.
Decocted in water for oral dose to be taken twice.