The Prescription of 小青龙汤
The book Shang Han Lun
- Ma Huang (Herba Ephedrae) 9 g,
- Shao Yao (Radix Paeoniae) 9 g,
- Xi Xin (Herba Asari) 9 g,
- Gan Jiang (Rhizoma Zingiberis) 9 g,
- Zhi Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae Preparata) 9 g,
- Gui Zhi (Ramulus Cinnamomi) 9 g,
- Wu Wei Zi (Fructus Schisandrae) 9 g,
- Ban Xia (Rhizoma Pinelliae) 9 g.
Wu Wei Zi: Astringing Qi.
Shao Yao: Nourishing blood.
Ban Xia: Lowering the adverse flow of Qi by means of removing phlegm and regulating the stomach.
Zhi Gan Cao: Supplementing Qi and regulating the stomach, tempering the actions of all the other ingredients.
The Effect of 小青龙汤
Inducing diaphoresis to reduce watery phlegm, relieving cough and asthma.
Syndrome due to the stagnation of wind-cold pathogens in the exterior and water retention in the interior, marked by aversion to cold, fever, no sweat, dyspnea, cough, profuse thin sputum, difficulty in lying down, or general pain and heavy sensation, swelling of face and limbs, whitish slippery tongue coating and floating pulse; including such diseases with
the above symptoms as chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma, senile emphysema, etc.
Decocted in water for oral dose to be taken 3 times.
Drugs in this prescription are pungent in flavor and dry in nature, so this prescription is contraindicated for syndromes marked by cough without sputum or with yellowish thick sputum and dryness of the mouth and throat.